How to Lay Resin Bound Paving
Whilst tools and techniques for installing resin bound paving have developed over time, the traditional process is still the same. This blog is going to take you through the different ways you can have resin bound paving on your project whether it is by laying it yourself or by contracting an approved SureSet installer to do it for you.
- Resin needs to be whisked together to make a creamy consistency. Whether using our 3-part ProResin UVR or our 2-part ProResin Non-UVR, the components all need fully mixing before being added to the aggregate.
- When using ProResin UVR, catalyst is a very important addition to the 2 resin components. Ensure to take care reading our catalyst guidance so that the correct amount is added.
- Thoroughly mix the blend of aggregate with the resin in a forced action paddle mixer so that all of the stone is fully coated by the resin. Make sure to mix each batch for the same amount of time to keep them consistent.
- Level out the mixture in the laying area to the approximate depth required ensuring you don’t spread too large a section at a time, otherwise the installer doing the floating won’t be able to reach the whole area.
- When floating, compact the material creating a smooth finish to the desired level ensuring a nice finish against any edging you may have. It is also important to blend in the joints between each batch so that lines do not appear later.
- For larger projects, a Hover Trowel may be used by our installers, this is a mechanical float which can speed up the process whilst maintaining the smooth compact finish required.
- If there are joints in the base below, these will need to be reflected into the resin bound paving. This can also prove beneficial when laying a large area as it can break up the installation into more manageable sections.
- Designs such as patterns, letters or numbers can be put into the surface using metal edging, stencils, or other paving materials. Ensure to plan these out prior to mixing any of the resin bound paving.
- – a manageable product suitable for small areas or designs. Each kit covers 0.5m² at a 16mm depth and is sold in pairs to install 1m².
- – designed with the homeowner in mind, suitable for driveways, pathways, patios. Available in two sizes, 15m² or 30m² and a variety of colours, to be laid at a 16mm depth.
- – commonly used by contractors for hard landscaping projects. Available in two sizes, 15m² or 30m² and in a variety of colours, to be laid at an 18mm depth.
- – a high quality UV stable resin available in 7kg and 7.5kg kits to mix with aggregates from SureSet or local source.
- – a durable, cost effective resin option available in 7kg and 7.5kg kits to mix with aggregates from SureSet or local source.
- – for all applications, our full system is laid for you to the specification of your project.
Tips for installing resin bound paving yourself:
- Plan your project! Work out where you are going to have a mixing area in relation to the laying area and ensure you have enough space for your materials as once you start the installation, you want to keep a continuous pattern so that you can end up with that perfect seamless finish.
- Use our handy DIY Kits, DIYPacks or TradePacks. Depending on the size of your project we have something to suit. These products are designed specifically for the ‘handy homeowner’ to use and can be purchased in a variety of colours and aggregate types to perfectly compliment the surroundings.
- ProResin can also be used in a UVR or Non-UVR version. Both can be purchased alongside aggregates from SureSet or you can source your own to blend with the resin.
- It is worth noting that when installing yourself using the DIY and Trade products, SureSet’s 21 year guarantee is not applicable.
Bring in the professionals:
- Sometimes it can be worthwhile getting in someone trained to do the job. SureSet have a wide network of Approved Installers who are able to supply and install SureSet products for residential projects. For most installations, a 21 year guarantee should also be offered.
- For commercial jobs, we have contractors who can supply and lay SureSet products whilst offering the on all installations.
- Trained installers are able to lay approximately 250m² in one day (for a straightforward installation), so on a large project minimal joints will be required.
- Another benefit of bringing a team in to do the job for you is that you won’t need to clear up the mess afterwards!
- Suitable for and projects
- Use for any size installation
- Bespoke service available
- Trade and DIY products
- Supply and installation service
- 21 guarantee when installed by an Approved Installer
- Unlimited design possibilities
- Smooth finish
- Seamless paving
All in all, there are many ways to lay resin bound paving, you just need to choose the right option for your project. All our products are suitable for most applications such as (but not limited to):
More information is available on our website for any of the above applications in or settings.
Watch our for other tips on installing resin bound paving.
DIY and Trade products directly from SureSet or contact us to get a quotation for supply and installation.
Watch our video: .Enquire