SureSet Resin Systems: Transforming the Breast Care Peace Garden at RUH Hospital, Bath
The following case study focuses on the successful implementation of SureSet resin bound paving in the Breast Care Peace Garden at the RUH Hospital in Bath. The resin bound material chosen for this project was 6mm Apollo, installed at an 18mm depth. This case study highlights the key features, benefits, and outcomes of using SureSet resin bound paving in creating a visually appealing, functional, and durable surface for the garden.
The RUH Hospital in Bath envisioned a Breast Care Peace Garden to provide a serene and calming space for patients and their families. The garden required a visually attractive and low-maintenance paving solution that would complement the overall design and enhance the user experience. SR Architects Limited emerged SureSet resin bound paving as the ideal choice due to its versatility, durability, and aesthetic appeal.
Sureset Resin Bound Paving
SureSet resin bound paving is a unique surfacing solution that involves mixing high-quality aggregates with a UV-stable, two-part resin. The resulting mixture is then trowelled onto a stable base to create a smooth, seamless, and durable surface. Resin bound paving offers several advantages, including:
- Permeability: The porous nature of the resin bound surface allows water to drain through, preventing the formation of puddles and reducing the risk of surface water runoff.
- Durability: SureSet resin bound paving is highly durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic, making it an ideal choice for public spaces like the Breast Care Peace Garden.
- Aesthetics: The wide range of aggregate colours and textures available allows for creative designs and bespoke options, enabling the creation of visually stunning surfaces.
- Low Maintenance: Resin bound surfaces are easy to maintain, requiring minimal upkeep and occasional power washing to keep them looking pristine.
The installation of SureSet resin bound paving in the Breast Care Peace Garden involved the following steps:
- Surface Preparation: The existing ground was prepared by removing any debris, weeds, and loose materials. The ground was then leveled and compacted to create a stable base.
- Resin Mixing: The 6mm Apollo aggregates were thoroughly mixed with the two-part resin binder, ensuring a consistent and well-bonded mixture.
- Application: The prepared resin bound mixture was poured onto the prepared base and spread evenly using trowels or screeding bars. Skilled installers ensured a smooth and uniform finish across the entire area.
- Curing: The installed resin bound surface was left to cure and harden, which typically takes a few hours. Curing times can vary depending on environmental conditions.
- Finishing Touches: Between every batch a fine grit cast is added to the surface and on request a SureSet plaque is added to its desired location.
Benefits and Outcomes
The utilisation of SureSet resin bound paving in the Breast Care Peace Garden yielded several benefits and positive outcomes:
- Enhanced Aesthetics: The 6mm Apollo aggregates created a visually appealing surface that complemented the garden's overall design, adding a touch of elegance and tranquillity to the space.
- Accessibility: The smooth and level resin bound surface ensures easy access for patients and visitors, including those with mobility aids.
- Low Maintenance: The seamless nature of resin bound paving minimises the growth of weeds, reducing the need for regular maintenance and making it easier to keep the garden clean and tidy.
- Safety: The slip-resistant properties of the resin bound surface contribute to a safer environment, especially during wet conditions.
- Longevity: SureSet resin bound paving offers excellent durability, with a lifespan of up to 25 years when accurately installed and maintained. This ensures a long-lasting and cost-effective solution for the Breast Care Peace Garden.
The installation of SureSet resin bound paving, specifically the 6mm Apollo aggregate, has transformed the Breast Care Peace Garden at the RUH Hospital in Bath. The project has successfully combined aesthetics, durability, accessibility, and low maintenance to create a visually stunning and functional space for patients and their families. The resin bound surface not only enhances the garden's overall design but also provides a safe and accessible environment for all users.Enquire