Housing Development Pathways in High Wycombe
- Application: pathways
- Base: MOT Type 3
- Area: 221m²
- Colour: 10mm Bronze
- Depth: 31mm
- Edges: concrete installed by others
- Installed: April 2021
- Client: Mackin Construction Ltd
In High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, a derelict former sheltered housing complex stood next to the M40 motorway. To make use of the unused area, developers were given the go ahead from Wycombe District Council to build two-bedroom houses on the site of the old Sidney House in Denham Lane. The plan is to make the new homes 100% affordable with new housing development pathways and they will be centered around new communal landscaping.
ZCD Architects were appointed by the housing association Catalyst to design the scheme and turn the existing site into a new development of 19 homes.
The development includes an outdoor amenity area in the form of a sheltered courtyard-shaped central green space. This is for the shared use of residents for leisure and recreation. Each house also has its own private garden.
The pathways leading to each property on the development needed to be durable, smooth and accessible for all. Resin bound paving was the obvious choice to give a natural blend with the surroundings.
Contractors Mackin Construction Ltd came to the SureSet Sales Team to assist with the proposal to have buff-coloured resin bound paving across the site.
The houses were constructed in traditional brick and block construction in terracotta red and an off-white shade. Bronze aggregate was chosen from our Natural Aggregate range which blends perfectly with the neutral shades of the buildings, walls and fencing.
The base was an MOT type 3 gravel which had been well compacted to the specified depth before the resin bound paving was laid on top. The permeable nature of the entire build up means there will be no puddling or standing water as any rainfall will drain straight through to the natural drainage table. Having a 10mm sized aggregate which was used in this project also increases the water flow due to the larger voids between the stones.
SureSet’s installers marked out the order of the paths so that they could all be seamlessly blended into one another to prevent joints where necessary. The aggregate and resin were fully mixed together in a forced action paddle mixer before being transferred to the laying area. Skilled installers then levelled, and hand trowelled the paving to a depth of 31mm to ensure a smooth transition from the edging to the pathways. Once fully compacted, fine sand was sprinkled over the areas to aid with slip resistance.
The new development gives families and young people in Wycombe the opportunity to have long-term, affordable accommodation with practical and accessible surroundings. We have already heard from residents how pleased they are with their new homes.
Benefits of SureSet resin bound paving
Resin bound pathways are a popular choice in housing developments as they create attractive, smooth and durable surfaces ideal for all residents, bicycles, pushchairs and wheelchairs. Here are some key features and advantages of resin bound paving:
- Aesthetically pleasing: with a wide range of colours and materials available, you can customize your project based on the surrounding environment.
- Permeable: one of the main advantages of resin bound pathways is the permeability. The porous nature of the surface reduces the risk of water build up and flooding.
- Low maintenance: resin bound surfaces require minimal maintenance compared to some other traditional paving solutions. The pathways can be easily cleaned with a stiff broom or a power washer.
- Durable: when installed correctly by approved installers, resin bound pathways are extremely durable and covered by SureSet’s 21-year guarantee.
- UV stable: SureSet’s high quality resin is UV stable meaning they won’t yellow or degrade over time when exposed to sunlight over time.
The quality of the product and installation is crucial for its performance and longevity. It is essential to hire experienced professionals to ensure a successful and lasting result. Do bear in mind that local regulations and requirements may vary.