University Paving In Bath
The University of Bath is one of the leading universities in the UK, located in Claverton Down on the East side of Bath, it is known for its excellence in teaching and research. As a result, the university attracts a large number of students from all over the world. With an increasing number of students enrolling in the university, there was a growing demand for quality accommodation facilities that met the needs and preferences of the students.
In response to this growing demand, the University of Bath decided to construct a new student accommodation building that would provide students with a comfortable and convenient living experience. Brendon Court was the result of this initiative.
Brendon Court is a student accommodation complex is made up of 113 flats, which are home to 126 first year undergraduate students who are living on campus.
In the centre of Brendon Court is a communal area which also acts as an access way. The key functions of the area are that it needs to be accessible, easy to maintain and provide a place for students to sit and enjoy the outdoor space provided.
Main Contractor from Bristol contacted SureSet as resin bound paving was a perfect solution for the project. Using a reputable product and contractor is a very important part of creating these commercial jobs and our 26 years of expertise was exactly what the customer was looking for.
There are so many benefits for choosing resin bound paving on this type of project such as:
- Durability: Resin bound paving is highly durable and long-lasting. The combination of high-quality resin and aggregates creates a strong and robust surface that can withstand heavy traffic, UV radiation, freeze-thaw cycles, and other environmental factors without cracking or deteriorating.
- Permeability: One of the significant advantages of resin bound paving is its permeability. The porous nature of the surface allows water to drain through it, preventing the formation of puddles and reducing the risk of flooding. This feature also helps with sustainable drainage and complies with modern planning regulations.
- Aesthetics: Resin bound paving provides a visually appealing finish that can enhance the overall appearance of a property or landscape. It offers a smooth, seamless surface with a wide range of color options and decorative aggregates, allowing for endless design possibilities. This versatility makes it suitable for various applications, including driveways, pathways, patios, and public spaces.
- Low maintenance: Resin bound surfaces are relatively low maintenance compared to other paving options. They require minimal upkeep, usually limited to occasional cleaning with a pressure washer or a brush to remove dirt or debris. The smooth surface also discourages the growth of weeds and algae, reducing the need for weed killers and herbicides.
- Versatility and flexibility: Resin bound paving can be applied to various substrates, including concrete, asphalt, and existing surfaces. This flexibility makes it a suitable option for both new construction projects and refurbishments. It can be used to create intricate designs, logos, or patterns, providing a customised look.
- Fast installation: Resin bound paving is relatively quick to install compared to traditional paving methods. Once the substrate is prepared, the resin and aggregates are mixed on-site and applied directly. The curing time is relatively short, allowing for a faster completion of the project.
- Environmentally friendly: Resin bound paving is considered an environmentally friendly option. Its permeability promotes natural drainage, reducing the burden on stormwater systems. It also allows rainwater to replenish the groundwater, contributing to sustainable water management. Additionally, resin bound surfaces are non-toxic and do not release harmful chemicals into the environment.
The areas were installed with a permeable asphalt base (laid by others). Having a permeable base provides a fully draining build up to ensure water can completely flow through to the natural drainage table below with no standing water. The correct base provides a stable foundation for the resin bound paving to be installed on top.
Subcontractor and Approved Installer of SureSet; Bruce Lovelock was on site to prepare the area and mark out the batches for the permeable paving. 6mm Barley Butter was chosen from our Natural Aggregate Range, as one of our most popular colours it blends perfectly with its surroundings.
The product has to go through the following stages before it is ready for final use:
- Mixing the resin: our two parts of ProResin are mixed together and a catalyst is added. SureSet provide a separate catalyst to allow full control over the curing time.
- Mixing the blend: the selected aggregate blend is added to the forced-action mixer with the resin. Each batch is mixed for the same amount of time to ensure consistency in the material and most importantly that every particle of stone is fully coated in the resin.
- Application: the resin bound material is transferred to the laying area and evenly spread across the base to the desired depth. It is then compacted to a firm and smooth finish.
The implementation of the resin bound paving proved to be a successful solution. The new pathways not only enhanced the aesthetic of the complex but also provided a durable, low maintenance and safe surface.Enquire