Transforming a Drab Driveway: A SureSet Resin Bound Installation in Devizes
- Location: Devizes, United Kingdom
- Installer: SureSet Resin Systems
- Materials: SureSet UVR ProResin and 6mm Barley Butter aggregate supplied by Grantex Surfacing
- Project Size: 240m²
- Date of Completion: 2023
This case study showcases the successful installation of a SureSet resin bound driveway in Devizes (near Bath), a historic market town in Wiltshire. The project aimed to rejuvenate a worn-out and unappealing driveway, providing the property with a durable, attractive, and permeable surfacing solution. Through the skilled implementation of SureSet's resin bound technology, the project not only enhanced the property's kerb appeal but also contributed to sustainable urban drainage management in the area.
The property located in Devizes, Wiltshire, featured an aging and unattractive tarmac driveway. The homeowners sought to revamp the area, making it visually appealing while ensuring a durable and low-maintenance surfacing solution. After researching various options, they decided to engage a reputable local contractor ‘SureSet’ to install a resin bound driveway.
Before commencing the installation, the SureSet site manager conducted an on-site assessment to evaluate the existing driveway's condition, dimensions, and drainage requirements. The sales team also discussed design preferences with the homeowners and recommended suitable colour options that would complement the property's exterior.
Materials and Process
SureSet resin bound paving is a mixture of high-quality natural aggregates and UV-stable clear resin. The process involves mixing these materials on-site and applying them directly over the existing surface, which was prepared by cleaning and loose stones and debris and dip testing to ensure the final surface would be level.
1. Preparation: The existing driveway surface was thoroughly cleaned to remove debris, dirt, and any loose material. Our site manager addressed any significant dips, cracks, or potholes in the base, ensuring a stable and even surface.
2. Base Coat: A base coat of the resin mixture was applied to the prepared surface. This coat helps to ensure proper adhesion of the subsequent resin bound layer and acts as a stabilising base for the final surface.
3. Resin Bound Layer: Once the base coat was cured, the SureSet resin bound mixture, 6mm Barley Butter, the selected colour, was laid on top at 20mm thick to allow for various cars including 4x4’s to turn on the area. The skilled installers meticulously spread the mixture to achieve a smooth and level surface. Precision and attention to detail were crucial during this step to ensure a flawless finish.
4. Finishing: A fine grit cast is added to ensure a good traction is made making is more slip resistant. After the resin bound layer was set, our SureSet installers completed the final finishing touches to the protected driveway edges and inspected the entire area for any imperfections and tidied away any rubbish. The owners were left with a 21 year guarantee and aesthetically pleasing, low up-keep surface.
Benefits of SureSet Resin Bound Driveway:
- Durability: SureSet resin bound driveways are renowned for their exceptional durability, capable of withstanding heavy vehicular traffic and environmental elements without deterioration or cracking.
- Permeability: One of the significant advantages of SureSet resin bound systems is their permeability, which allows rainwater to drain through the surface, reducing the risk of standing water and flooding.
- Aesthetics: The wide range of colours and aggregate options available in SureSet's palette allows homeowners to choose a bespoke design that complemented their property's architecture and surroundings.
- Low Maintenance: SureSet resin bound driveways are virtually maintenance-free, requiring only periodic cleaning to retain their pristine appearance.
The successful installation of this SureSet resin bound driveway transformed the previously drab and worn-out driveway into a visually striking and durable feature that enhanced the property's kerb appeal significantly. The homeowners were delighted with the results, and the project contributed positively to the overall aesthetics and sustainability of the Devizes community.Enquire