Far too many access roads and car parks in the UK are reminders of a time, not all that long ago, when sustainability was equated with durability and asphalt and concrete were the go-to paving choices. Thank goodness times – and paving options – have changed. SureSet brings you permeable resin-bound paving products that are long-lasting, truly sustainable, and attractive.
- Improve the long-term appearance of an area
- Reduce the cost of ongoing maintenance
- Incorporate other external works and landscape design
- Promote safety and security
- Provide full access
- Reflect neighbouring buildings and surroundings
- Consider sustainability.
Practical and functional, our high quality resin bound car park and access road paving addresses all of these requirements.
The Importance Of Permeability
The continued growth of our towns and cities means more and more grassy open spaces are being built on or paved over. It also means that the amount of natural drainage available for rainwater and snowmelt is decreasing. If paving is not permeable, the runoff that would have soaked into the soil instead contributes to urban flooding; something that many of us in the UK saw with our own eyes in 2007.
The realisation that problem of runoff rainwater and the lack of adequate drainage need to be tackled with urgency was one of the reasons why, a year after those floods, we saw a change in legislation that encourages people to choose permeable paving products such as SureSet for access roads, car parks, and other projects.
Sustainability And Aesthetics
It’s safe to say that almost every person in the UK has some awareness of various issues facing the planet, climate change and pollution among them. There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that there is more to sustainability than durability.
Concrete car parks and asphalt access roads may be durable but given their contribution to rainwater runoff and the problem of urban flooding, they’re not actually sustainable. SureSet’s permeable paving ranges, on the other hand, include sustainably sourced natural and recycled aggregates.
The importance of aesthetics also shouldn’t be underestimated, as the look and feel of a location can have an effect on mental health. Aesthetics also can affect the value of not only your property, but the properties of your neighbours as well.
With SureSet, you can choose from a spectrum of colours, and you can use different types of edging for your car park or access road. There are neutral-coloured aggregates, and there is the Midnight option, which harmonises with existing asphalt surfaces. You also have the option of using aggregates of various colours to create designs such as company or school logos or reserved parking bays. The results are paved areas that are durable (SureSet comes with a 21-year guarantee), sustainable, permeable, and attractive.
A Practical Paving Option
Its outstanding permeability, accessibility, versatility and durability also makes SureSet ideal for…
- Revitalising existing car parks and access roads; it can be laid over many existing surfaces including concrete and asphalt.
- Use with our own cellular grid structure SureCell® to create a fully permeable surface.
- Incorporating into SuDS schemes. Even when installed onto a non-permeable base, SureSet allows surface water to drain away and be harvested or discharged into drains or soak-aways.
- Harmonising with other materials such as block paving, brick, paving slabs, decking, gravel, crazy paving, pattern-imprinted concrete, sand-stone and granite setts.
- Camouflaging unsightly drains and manhole covers.
- Providing a clean finish up to any edge including kerbs, pin kerbs, plastic edging, wood and timber, marble setts or aluminium edging.
- Including tree pits into access roads and car park surfaces. SureSet can also cover protruding roots eliminating trip hazards, allows water to drain through, and provides flexibility for movement.
- Incorporating lights into access roads and car park paving to create a safer environment.
- Demarcating parking bays, parent and child and accessible spaces, defining pedestrian and driving areas and including corporate logos.
Here are some answers to questions we are frequently asked…
Do I need planning permission?
No, 2008 government legislation states that you do not need planning permission if the surface is permeable (or less than five square metres).
Can I drive on SureSet?
Yes you can.
Who installs SureSet?
All SureSet installations are carried out by our Installation Team or one of our Approved Installers.
How long before you can drive on SureSet?
12-24 hours after installation.
How long will SureSet last?
SureSet permeable paving comes with an 18 year guarantee, however our own experience and knowledge suggests it will last in excess of 25 years.
How much does SureSet cost?
Each project is unique and so individually priced. All of our quotes are free, with no obligation and can be arranged by contacting us.
What can SureSet be laid on?
SureSet can be laid on a new base and existing asphalt and concrete (in reasonable condition). More detailed information about suitable bases for SureSet.
Read more about our Car Park and Access Road Paving and download a brochure, maintenance guide or specifications.
Since the devastation of the 2007 floods, caused by surface water runoff and not over flowing rivers, permeable paving has never been so popular. Fully SuDS compliant SureSet permeable resin bound paving combines functionality, practicality and good looks.
If you have any other questions please just contact us and we will be happy to help – call on 0800 612 6501 or email us.
Coming up next – ideas for Indoor Flooring…