Thinking of a new patio or transforming your existing surface?
It’s certainly something to consider, because an attractive outdoor living space can add value to your home in more ways than one.
According to some estimates, a patio can increase the value of your property by as much as £10,000. It’s not all about the money, however. A space such as a deck, patio, or terrace lets you and your family spend time outdoors comfortably. An outdoor living space is perfect for:
- Enjoying a mug of tea or coffee before work
- Exercising or doing yoga or tai chi
- Tackling the day’s crossword or sudoku challenge
- Meditation and reflection
- Dining with family
- Entertaining friends
- Art and crafts
- Resting and relaxing
As you can see from this list, an outdoor living space can add value to your life. The American Institute of Architects Home Design Trends Survey has ranked such spaces as the number one ‘special function room’ among buyers for the past decade, and a similar appreciation for patios can be found in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
If you know the many-faceted value of a patio, it’s only natural that you would want yours to look attractive. Here are a few ideas for you…
Build Or Revitalise A Patio
Whether you want to build a patio yourself or have one done professionally, or you want to revitalise your existing patio, it doesn’t need to be a big, expensive job. SureSet’s an affordable, practical, and sensible answer. You can purchase DIY paving kits or packs from us, or you can arrange to have your permeable resin-bound paving laid by one of our approved installers.
- A quick, easy way to revitalise your patio and give your kerb appeal a boost is to lay SureSet permeable paving over your existing surface.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ with our DIY Kit® or TradePack®.
- Using a combination of colours and/or textures of SureSet is a perfect way to divide or define specific areas within your garden.
Personalise Your Patio Paving
A patio can be the ideal space to express your creativity, whether it be through food, art, embroidery, or tai chi. Why wait until your project is done? With SureSet, you can express your creativity through personalised paving! How far you take that is up to you, because we’ve got the materials you need to make it possible.
Our paving range includes natural aggregate, crushed and rounded marble, colourful recycled glass, recycled oyster, lobster, crab, and scallop shells, and colourful rubber granules. With these options, you can keep your design understated, or you can create a design that would make Alice think she’s in Wonderland all over again.
- Get creative with colours from Spectrum® to complement or contrast your home and adjacent surfaces.
- Personalise your patio paving with a pattern – you can include shapes, words and even paw prints.
- Harmonise with other surfaces such as block paving, brick, paving slabs, decking, gravel, crazy paving, pattern-imprinted concrete, sand-stone and granite setts.
There’s more to a decent patio than just the paving. If you really want your outdoor living area to be an attractive space, you need to add the finishing touches. This means you may need to install edging of some kind, disguise drains, incorporate an existing tree, make space to plant a tree or shrub, add lighting, or make sure it can be accessed easily by people with impaired mobility.
- Make your patio pretty by camouflaging unsightly drains and manhole covers within SureSet. It also leaves a smooth, accessible finish.
- Create a clean finish up to any edge including kerbs, pin kerbs, plastic lawn edging, wood and timber, marble setts or aluminium edging.
- Lighting up your patio will impress family and friends! Fibre optic lighting is especially effective under our recycled glass or incorporate LED or recessed ground lights within SureSet.
- Building in a ramp improves access for pushchairs, bicycles, wheelchairs and garden toys.
- You can include your tree(s) into your patio with a SureSet tree pit – allowing water to reach the roots, protecting the tree, eliminating trip hazards and providing flexibility for growth.
Take It Further
There are two ways to treat a patio. One is to think of it as an outdoor space, but with paving instead of lawn. The other is to treat it as part of your home, which means adding the elements that leave no doubt in anyone’s mind that the space is meant to be used and enjoyed.
- Add hanging baskets, planters, or potted plants
- Get a picnic table and benches or a wrought iron coffee table and chairs
- Add a water garden or water feature
- Build a fire pit
- Get colourful cushions for your patio furniture
- Use a wooden trellis with climbing plants or frames with fabric panels for added privacy
With these ideas, you can completely change your patio and how you use it. Unleash your creativity with SureSet and create an outdoor space that adds value in numerous ways.
Got questions about your patio project?
Here are some answers to questions we are frequently asked…
Do I need planning permission?
No, 2008 government legislation states that you do not need planning permission if the surface is permeable (or less than five square metres).
Who installs SureSet?
Apart from our DIY Kits and TradePacks, SureSet installations are carried out by our Installation Team or nationwide network of Approved Installers. Both work tidily and with respect to you and neighbouring properties.
Is SureSet easy to clean?
Yes it is. Watch our online maintenance video to see for yourself how easy it is.
How long before I can use my patio?
In as little as six to eight hours after installation.
How long will SureSet last?
SureSet permeable paving comes with a 21-year guarantee, however our own experience and knowledge suggests it will last in excess of 25 years.
How much does SureSet cost?
Your project is unique to you and so individually priced. We take into account your location, size of the area and the stone you choose. All of our quotes are free, with no obligation and can be arranged by contacting us.
What can SureSet be laid on?
SureSet resin bound paving can be laid on a new base and existing asphalt and concrete (in reasonable condition). More detailed information about suitable bases for SureSet.
Read more about SureSet Patio Paving and download a brochure, maintenance guide or specifications.
Since the devastation of the 2007 floods, caused by surface water runoff and not over flowing rivers, permeable paving has never been so popular. A fully SuDS compliant SureSet patio paving combines functionality, practicality and good looks.
If you have any other questions please just contact us and we will be happy to help – please call on 0800 612 6501 or email us.