Typically, hard landscaping is the use of hard materials to make architectural features such as paths, walls, decking and patios in a garden. Whether extending ground floor living space or designing outdoor communal areas for a housing development, hard landscaping creates attractive and versatile outdoor spaces, adds value and builds communities.
There are many different ways you can make changes or additions using resin bound paving, so we have put together a few ideas to help you with your hard landscaping project…
- Laying SureSet permeable paving over existing areas such as footpaths and patios is a quick and easy way to revitalise any surface. Overlaying can give your paving a complete makeover and change the look of the property or garden instantly.
- Harmonise with other materials such as block paving, brick, paving slabs, decking, gravel, crazy paving, pattern-imprinted concrete, sand-stone and granite setts. SureSet resin bound paving has a wide range of colours and materials available which makes them ideal for colour matching or creating a complete contrast to the surrounding surfaces.
- Personalise your hard landscaping design with a pattern or design – you can include words, symbols (e.g. stars) and even paw prints using wooden stencils or metal edging. You could also add your house name or number if your project is at the front of your home.
- Camouflage unsightly drains and manhole covers using the same material as the surrounding paving for a smooth, accessible, colour matched finish.
- Create a clean finish up to any edge including kerbs, pin kerbs, plastic lawn edging, wood and timber, marble setts or aluminium edging. The hand-laid system can be laid up to any shape or sized edging to give your project its own individual finish.
- Build in a ramp to improve access for pushchairs, bicycles, wheelchairs and garden toys. The smooth and hardwearing nature of resin bound paving is a great solution for improving access routes due to having no loose stone.
- For small areas you can do it yourself with a DIY Kit®, DIYPack, or TradePack® or ProResin. All our DIY and Trade products come with full instructions to make it easy to complete your own project. These products are not covered by our 21 year guarantee.
- Use SureSet to divide or define specific areas within your design or inject a bit of colour with Spectrum®. Edging or stencils can be used for this to create demarcations within the resin bound paving or to have different sections of alternative materials.
- Light up your design and impress your neighbours! Fibre optic lighting is especially effective under our recycled glass or incorporate LED or recessed ground lights within the SureSet paving itself.
- Show your trees some love and give them a SureSet tree pit – allowing water and air to reach the roots, protecting the tree, creating an easy maintenance surface, eliminating trip hazards and providing flexibility for growth.
Here are some answers to questions we are frequently asked…
Do I need planning permission?
No, 2008 government legislation states that you do not need planning permission if the surface is permeable (or less than five square metres).
Who installs SureSet?
Apart from our DIY Kits, DIYPacks and TradePacks or ProResin, SureSet installations are carried out by our Installation Team, nationwide network of Approved Installers, or a Global Partner. They all work tidily and with respect to you and neighbouring properties. When your project is installed by a SureSet installer it will be covered by a 21 year guarantee.
Is SureSet easy to clean?
Yes it is. Simply powerwash or sweep the surface regularly to keep it looking fresh. Watch our online maintenance video to see for yourself how easy it is.
How long before I can use SureSet?
In as little as four to six hours after installation for pedestrian use, and 12-16 hours for vehicular use. If possible we recommend 24 hours to ensure a fully cured surface.
How long will SureSet last?
SureSet permeable paving comes with a 21 year guarantee, when installed by our own Installation Team, an Approved Installer or a Global Partner. However, our own experience and knowledge suggest it will last in excess of 25 years.
How much does SureSet cost?
Your project is unique to you and so individually priced. We take into account your location, size of the area and the colour and type of stone you choose. All of our quotes are free, with no obligation and can be arranged by contacting us.
What can SureSet be laid on?
SureSet resin bound paving can be laid on a newly laid base or an existing asphalt and concrete (providing it is in reasonable condition). We also have our own sub-base option, SureCell which is a cellular grid structure made from recycled plastic and can be used to create a fully permeable build up. More detailed information about suitable bases for SureSet.
Read more about SureSet for Hard Landscaping and download a brochure, maintenance guide or specifications.
Since the devastation of the 2007 floods, caused by surface water runoff and not overflowing rivers, permeable paving has never been so popular. SuDS compliant SureSet combines functionality, practicality and good looks.
If you have any other questions or would like some advice on your own hard landscaping project, please just contact us and we will be happy to help – please call on 0800 612 6501 or email us.
Our experts are always on hand to discuss your project needs and advise where possible too – just feel free to get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.